In a previous post I noted that you should get a covid 19 vaccine shot or two. That being said you should also get a booster shot. Why is that?
- The vaccine efficacy fades over time. Your body forgets about covid leaving you with less protection over time. So while after the first or second dose you had 90% protection now six months later you may be at 50%. Then 25% then finally as if you never had it all.
- Studies have shown that the two dose vaccines lose quite a bit of impact in six months. For the one dose vaccines that starts at 3-4 months.
- So while you might be safe now you will be less safe in six to nine months.
- The delta variant is very contagious especially in indoor situations. There might be another variant that evolves that is even more contagious.
- The cost of getting vaccine is zero in many places or very low. I made an appointment at the local drug store and bought a twelve pack of beer on sale in the same trip. No biggie.
- The cost of getting covid can be very high! You may not die but if you are hospitalized for a few weeks to a month or more it can be quite costly. Imagine thousands or ten of thousands of dollars. You will get a big bill and you won’t be going to work and getting paid either. Double whammy!
- Even if you had covid natural immunity fades in three months. So you could get it again. Another two weeks of coughing your lungs out and isolating. Fun times.
- The chances of getting covid are high if you go about your business without a mask. By this I mean going to sporting events, doing indoor dining and drinking. Winter is coming and who wants to sit in the snow outside?
- You need to stay alive until the covid cure pill comes out. Pfizer has one but it is not widely available yet. I am sure it is not cheap like aspirin. Also who knows what side effects it has.
So be safe and smart. Don’t listen to dumb politicians, celebrities, reality tv stars, Facebook or some other non-sense. No horse pills or any antibacterial stuff will do jack versus a virus that isn’t living. Only specific antivirals will work. Listen to your health care providers. They will tell you the same thing in every country which is get the shot. If you don’t trust the ones in your country look at what other countries recommend. I assure you the ones in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, France etc. will tell you the same thing.
Like I said before this is a situation of free vaccine vs huge downside risk if you get it financially and time wise. I would rather be having a nice mug of beer outside at my favorite pub than lying in bed coughing my lungs out wondering if I need to go the hospital for oxygen or worse. No way. Go enjoy life and wear a mask indoors until this thing blows over.
Here is the original post for your reference
So I was at a work meeting and some people were not sure if they would get the Covid 19 vaccine that was going to be available in said country that week. The vaccine in question was the J&J vaccine that was in the news. The other vaccines were not available and may not be for some time. Well if your plan is hit the pubs, bars, clubs and beaches this summer it is better to get vaccinated than not. Here is why.
It comes down to simple math folks
The chances of side effects are extremely low but the chances of you get Covid when hitting the bars or engaging in indoor dining is pretty damned high. Let’s say you go out on the town for ten weekends in a row and each time you have a ten percent chance of getting Covid. Well by the end of the summer 10*10 = 100%. So basically you will eventually get Covid assuming it is in your community or country. Yeah not everyone gets very sick but if you do it’s really bad and could be quite costly if you end up spending a month in the hospital and missing two months of work. Wait until that bills comes! Or you could be one of these long haulers that has mysterious symptoms for months. Or you could die like the 35 year old healthy guy with no preexisting conditions that was in the paper here last week.
The odds are in your favor…big time
Let’s look at the supposed bad vaccine the “dangerous” J&J one. 17 people had serious side effects. Oh no. That’s bad. The telly said so! But wait. How many people received the J&J vaccine? Was it 100? Then not so great odds. No, it was actually 8.1 million. That’s a lot! That’s like the population of all of Sweden or all the people in Chicago or Los Angeles or London or Toronto plus Montreal. (Btw the J&J vaccine is a traditional non-mRNA vaccine like the flu shot, while the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are mRNA derived)
So 17/8,100,000 =0.0000021 = 0.00021% chance of a bad reaction
Those are really low odds of having a side effect of blood clots. Btw none of those people died, they just had to take blood thinners in the hospital. The Pfizer/ Bio N Tech and Moderna vaccines also had side side effects but at even lower rate of issued.
Let’s compare those chances of other life events
5 balls lottery 1:750,000 =0.0001333 % Fantasy 5 $224,000 prize = buy a studio or small flat
4 ball lottery 1:4163 = 0.024% $500 prize
Chance of being in a car accident 1:107= 0.9%
Drowning 1:1,128 = 0.088%
If you really think you are the lucky one to get side effects on this vaccine go play the lottery for gods sake. The math is on your side. However if you do want to escape this work from home, no travel, no fun prison go get the vaccine in your area. The benefits are too great and the risk of not getting it too high.
Just get whatever the clinic, hospital, pharmacy has. Any of the big vaccines will be good. Otherwise the health authorities would not have approved them in the first place. Oh yeah don’t believe any internet bs about the government implanting microchips in people with them. They already know everywhere you go and everything you do because of you cell phone and computer and Google rat you out. Haha.
Yes, I did get vaccinated when the shots became available in my area. It was the Pfizer one this month. And yes, I felt tired and sluggish for two days after the second shot but now am fine. Don’t risk it. Get the damned shot and enjoy your life. I would have gotten what ever one was available because the odds are totally in my favor. They didn’t give you a choice before but now you seem to be able to select the vaccine you want at least in my area. If mRNA makes you worried for some reason the J&J one is non-mRNA traditional vaccine like the flu shot so go find that one. Theoretically there should be no difference in how it impacts as we not using live virus but dead pieces of virus. Any of the big 3 will provide protection. The fourth one from Astra is likely fine too.
And no the vaccines don’t have thimerosal mercury as they don’t use that anymore. And even if they did it would be so little. If you really worried about that take liposomal glutathione after which absorbs mercury like a sponge. Then you won’t have to worry about mercury.
Keep in mind that to get to herd mentality at least 70-80% need to get vaccinated. So we need to do our part. The risk is if we don’t we select for ever more virulent and deadly strains via natural selection. This is the viral equivalent of antibiotic resistance meaning only the ones that spread hard and fast survive. We just need to kill this thing off. Also just because your neighbor is protected doesn’t mean you will be if someone infected gets on the plane from say India and sits next to you on the metro or in a restaurant. Then bam covid for you but not the neighbor.
Me personally I think this pandemic is a warm up for another event. Maybe I am wrong. Why do I think that? Because there seems to be a new one of these every 5 to 10 years. SARS, MERS, COVID. What’s next Ebola? Keep your masks and hand sanitizer in the drawer like they do in Asia instead of throwing them away. Learn from this one as a future one maybe as or more deadly.